XPDF is a suite of tools for Portable Document Format (PDF) files. These are sometimes referred to as ‘Acrobat' files after the name of Adobe's PDF software. To enable support for Foreign Languages including Chinese to view PDF Files you need to install the language support. Here are the instructions.
The tools include xpdf, a PDF viewer (in the package xpdf-reader), and PDF converters (including to/from PostScript) (in the package xpdf-utils).
To install the xpdf type;
sudo apt-get install xpdf-%langugae%
where %language% is the language you wish to install.
The following languages are available;
- Arabic: xpdf-arabic.tar.gz (1058 bytes)
- Chinese/simplified: xpdf-chinese-simplified.tar.gz (835807 bytes)
- Chinese/traditional: xpdf-chinese-traditional.tar.gz (794568 bytes)
- Cyrillic: xpdf-cyrillic.tar.gz (1326 bytes)
- Greek: xpdf-greek.tar.gz (1164 bytes)
- Hebrew: xpdf-hebrew.tar.gz (1314 bytes)
- Japanese: xpdf-japanese.tar.gz (494624 bytes)
- Korean: xpdf-korean.tar.gz (470166 bytes)
- Latin2: xpdf-latin2.tar.gz (1435 bytes)
- Thai: xpdf-thai.tar.gz (1873 bytes)
- Turkish: xpdf-turkish.tar.gz (1140 bytes)
For example to install Chinese simplified you would type;
sudo apt-get install xpdf-chinese-simplified
Source from here