Adobe Acrobat is a family of application software by Adobe Systems. These applications use Adobe’s Portable Document Format (PDF) as their native file format.Adobe Reader (formerly called Acrobat Reader) is available as a no-charge download from Adobe’s web site, and allows the viewing and printing of PDF files.
Adobe Reader Requirements for Linux
- 32-bit Intel Pentium processor or equivalent
- Red Hat Linux WS 5, SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop (SLED) 10 and Ubuntu 6.10,Debian 3.1 and Above.
- GNOME or KDE desktop environment
- 512 MB of RAM (1 GB recommended)
- Up to 125 MB of available hard-disk space
- GTK+ (GIMP Toolkit) user interface library, version 2.6 or higher
- Firefox 1.5 or higher; Mozilla 1.73 or higher
Adobe Reader Features
- Support for playing Multimedia-enabled PDF documents for supported media types (linux). Play Flash, Real media and more!
- Support for participating in Shared Reviews along with other users of Adobe Reader 8.x on Unix, and Adobe Reader/Acrobat 8.x on Win/Mac. Collaborate right inside the Reader.
- Improvements in Commenting and Drawing Markup tools.
- New tools such as Loupe Tool, Pan and Zoom. Expand your horizons, and control what you want to see.
- Support for dynamically rendered bar code generation in forms.
- Updated Review Tracker with inbuilt support for RSS feeds. Use the Reader as your RSS feed reader!
- New 2D and 3D measuring tools for more accurate control of architectural drawings.
- Printing: New support for Booklet Printing and Low Resolution printing of secured documents.
- Significant performance improvement for certain types of forms via direct rendering for Dynamic Forms.
- Support for documents created with Adobe Acrobat 3D including navigation, cross-section and rendering.
- Accessibility: Support for Orca.
- Various new additions to the Manage Digital ID feature, including support for Roaming Credentials, support for Cryptographic Tokens and Smart Cards (PKCS#11 compliant).
- Support for adding a Digital Signature Field in documents which have been “Reader Enabled” through Acrobat Professional on Win/Mac.
- Support for viewing PDF Packages – get an organized view of your PDFs in a single well-defined interface.
- Support for the PRC format for 3D data.
- Beyond Reader: New help resources that contains up-to-date information on Adobe products, Adobe Reader and how it can be used with Adobe’s other products.
- Adobe Help Viewer – a self-contained, one-stop shop for all help related to the Reader
- Improved Search capabilities, including searching of sub-documents in a PDF Package, improved searching of attachments, etc.
Install Adobe Reader 8.1.1 on Debian
Now you have AdobeReader_enu-8.1.1-1.i386.deb package you need to install this .deb package using the following command
#dpkg -i AdobeReader_enu-8.1.1-1.i386.deb
This will install adobe reader 8.1.1.
If you want to open this application you need to go to Applications—>Office—>Adobe Reader 8
First time when you open you should see the following screen here you need to click on accept
Once it opens you should see similar to the following screen
Adobe reader version details
Enjoy your new Adobe Reader